Brisbane Brilliance: A Comprehensive Guide for Interns
Welcome to the lively city of Brisbane! Your internship here promises a wealth of experiences and opportunities. To make the most of your time in this dynamic Australian city, it’s essential to familiarise yourself with key information. From navigating public transport to ensuring your safety, opening a bank account, and more, here’s your comprehensive guide to Brisbane essentials.
1. Navigating Brisbane: Public Transport
Brisbane boasts an efficient public transport system, including buses, trains, and ferries, making it easy to explore the city and its surroundings. Consider obtaining a TransLink go card, which provides seamless access to various modes of transportation. You can top up your go card at stations, retail outlets, or online for convenient travel.
2. Safety and Security
While Brisbane is known for its safety, it’s crucial to be street-smart in any new city. Stick to well-lit areas at night, stay aware of your surroundings, and keep your belongings secure. In case of an emergency, dial 000 for immediate assistance. Familiarize yourself with the location of the nearest police station and hospital for added peace of mind.
3. Setting Up a Bank Account
To ease your financial transactions, consider opening a bank account with one of the major banks in Australia: Commonwealth Bank, ANZ Bank, Westpac, or National Bank. Bring your Passport for identification, and the bank staff will guide you through the process. Don’t forget to have some cash on hand for when you arrive.
4. Staying Connected: Mobile Phones
Ensuring you have a reliable mobile connection is crucial for communication during your internship. Make sure your phone is not locked to any network. Major providers like Vodafone, Optus and Telstra, offer pre-paid mobile packages. You can buy a prepaid card in one of their shops and recharge it easily. You can buy the recharge-codes online, or in almost every supermarket, newsagency, or convenience store.
5. Tourist Information
Brisbane offers a rich array of cultural and recreational experiences, and there’s no shortage of information available to help you explore. Visit the Brisbane Visitor Information Centre for detailed insights into local attractions, tours, and events. They’re open seven days a week, ready to assist you in planning your adventures.
Brisbane Visitor Information Centre
- Location: Queen Street Mall, Brisbane QLD 4000
- Hours: Monday – Sunday: 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
- Phone: 07 3006 6290
Finding suitable accommodation is a priority for any intern. Internships Down Under can assist you in securing furnished student accommodation, homestays, or hostels. Remember, never transfer money to anyone until you’ve seen the room! Utilise trusted platforms and, if possible, seek recommendations from fellow interns.
7. Other Important Tips
- Flights: For domestic travel, consider airlines like Jetstar, Virgin Australia, Tigerair and Qantas. These providers offer a range of options to suit your budget and schedule. Booking in advance often yields the best deals.
- Weekend Trips: Organising weekend getaways is a breeze with numerous websites and resources available. Also, keep an eye on announcements from Internships Down Under for exciting trips and experiences.
- For Your Safety: Exercise the same level of caution you would in your home country. Avoid poorly lit areas, watch your drinks in bars to prevent tampering, and be cautious with valuables. If you need advice, call Internships Down Under at +61 (0)2 93865441. In emergencies, dial the National Emergency Number: 000.
Welcome to Brisbane, where your internship adventure awaits. With this extensive guide, you’re equipped to dive into the diverse experiences and opportunities this dynamic city has to offer! Embrace each moment, explore, learn, and make lasting memories in this lively metropolis. Enjoy your enriching journey!