What is a Virtual Internship?
Although relatively unfamiliar in Australia, Virtual Internships are steadily growing in popularity globally.
A Virtual Internship is a placement where the intern gains professional experience and training while not physically present at the company location.
All communication between the intern and company is carried out via online platforms such as phone, email, Skype, WhatsApp, Zoom, webinars, Google Hangouts and various other communication & project management programs.
Virtual Internships may not suit all industries (e.g. hospitality), but with modern working techniques, improved technology, and the correct training structure, they can be beneficially executed in a wide range of fields;
- Event Management
- Film & Media
- Finance / Accounting
- Graphic / Web Design
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Journalism / Communications
- Marketing / Online
- Marketing / Social Media
- Public Relations
- Software Development
We offer two convenient options available for Virtual Internships;
– 8 Weeks > 20 hours per week; Total 160 hours of Virtual practical experience
– 12 Weeks > 20 hours per week; Total 240 hours of Virtual practical experience
Both options must include at least 1 x weekly voice or video call.
*At this stage we remain open to accommodating requests for an alternative duration.
– Establish a sizeable project or ongoing tasks that would be motivating & beneficial for an intern to complete for the agreed period of time e.g. 160 or 240 hours
– Provide training for the project/tasks to be completed effectively
– Set-up all the necessary IT & software access along with the essential tools & platforms in order for the Virtual Internship to be completed successfully.
– Hold at least one voice or video call per week with the intern throughout the duration of the internship
– Regularly review the tasks completed and provide necessary feedback & ongoing training
– Closely monitor the intern’s progress throughout the placement
– Promptly respond to the intern’s questions
– Provide a reference on successful completion of the internship
Benefits to a Host Company
– No physical desk space required
– Access to a more diverse range of interns
– Less time consuming than managing a traditional internship
– Reduced risk of complications associated with visas, insurance, homesickness & accommodation issues
– Less emphasis placed on the intern fitting into the specific company culture
– Less time spent on training soft skills e.g. punctuality, office etiquette.
– Flexible start & finish dates
– Make progress on lower priority projects
– Gain access to new skillsets and global practices & ideas
Benefits to an Intern
– Significantly more cost effective (no flights, visas, insurance, etc)
– Flexible location
– Flexible hours
– Continue studying alongside the internship
– No photocopying or coffee making
– No limitations associated with the Visa
– Open to all ages
– Course credit may be available
– Develop digital management & online international communication skills
The intern will be studying in their chosen field. They will have industry specific skills (& often prior experience) that will provide a solid base to assist them in absorbing the training you provide, enabling them to smoothly launch into the projects you have available.
There is no cost associated with hosting a Virtual Internship.
We do recommend offering the intern an online gift as a gesture of goodwill once the internship is completed successfully, such as a voucher to a global online store.
> Complete the Host Company Virtual Internship Application
> We will send you an intern’s CV & Cover Letter to consider
> Complete an online interview with the intern
> Sign our provided agreement confirming the details of the virtual placement