Homestay is a safe and affordable accommodation arrangement for students. Students stay with an Australian family or host who provide them with their own bedroom.
Accommodation in homestay is a wonderful opportunity to learn and practice English.
Breakfast and dinner are usually provided 7 days a week, and lunch only on Saturday and Sunday if you are at home.
Homestay is not a hotel. Your host will want to learn about you and your country. Homestay is a great way to get to know about daily Australian life.
Your internship location & interests will be considered when matching you with a suitable host family
|New South Wales (Sydney)||Victoria (Melbourne)||Queensland (Brisbane/Gold Coast)||South Australia (Adelaide)||Western Australia (Perth)|
|Important: Non-Refundable Application Fee $280|
|3 meals x 7 days||Not Available||Single $315 pw /|
Share $275 pw
|Single $305 pw /|
Share $275 pw
|Single $310 pw /|
Share $280 pw
|Single $310 pw /
Share $280 pw
|2 meals Mon - Fri / 3 meals Weekends||Single $275 pw / |
Share $260 pw
|Single $295 pw /|
Share $260 pw
|Single $275 pw /|
Share $245 pw
|Single $280 pw /|
Share $250 pw
|Single $275 pw /
Share $245 pw
|1 meal (Dinner) x 7 days||Not Available||Single $260 pw /|
Share $230 pw
|Single $250 pw /|
Share $220 pw
|Single $250 pw /|
Share $220 pw
|Single $250 pw /
Share $220 pw
|1 meal (Breakfast) x 7 days||Single $250 pw||Single $250 pw /|
Share $220 pw
|Not Available||Not Available||Not Available|
|No Meals||Single $230 pw||Single $210 pw /|
Share $180 pw
|Single $200 pw /|
Share $170 pw
|Single $195 pw /|
Share $165 pw
|Single $195 pw /
Share $165 pw
Homestay provided by ‘Meridian Homestay’
Cancellation before arrival
– Placement fee (non refundable)
– Full homestay fees are only refundable if cancellation is received 48 hours prior to commencement of homestay
– 2-4 weeks’ notice: 1 x “Weekly Homestay” fee payable per student
– 1-2 weeks’ notice: 2 x “Weekly Homestay” fee payable per student
– < 1 weeks’ notice: Full payment of “Weekly Homestay” fee payable per student
– Refund and Cancellation Service Fee $100 applies to ALL refunds and cancellations
– Students must give 14 days (two weeks) notice before leaving Homestay, or pay two weeks’ in lieu of notice
– If you choose to leave Homestay without giving two weeks’ notice, two weeks Homestay fees still apply unless otherwise agree with the College, Host family and Meridian Homestay Services
– Each request to leave Homestay is assessed on a case-by-case basis
– We understand that sometimes things don’t work out with the first family
We offer a second Host family ( free of charge; Each request will be assessed on a case-by-case basis)
– If you have paid for an airport transfer on arrival, and are moving from one Host family to another, we offer to move you (free of charge).
– If you wish to move from Homestay, and have not paid for an airport transfer on arrival
(a $50 charge will apply)
If you are not happy with your current Host family, have given two weeks’ notice, and then decide you would like to stay with the current family, please take into consideration;
– $100 service fee will apply
– You may not be able to extend with the current family as they have accepted another booking
If you are not happy with your second Host family and request a third family, please take into consideration;
– A $235 placement fee will apply
– Each request will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
– This will depend on the availability of Host families at that given time
– After the end of four weeks period, if students want to extend their stay, they must make the next
payment to Meridian Homestay Services. Progressive payment can be made via direct deposit to our bank account.
– Please refer to the Homestay Extension Policy.
Meridian Homestay Services is careful to select honest Host families. Each home is inspected for suitability to Host a student. Even so, Meridian Homestay Services cannot be held responsible for the actions of the Host family or student.
Queensland, Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory, Tasmania, Australian Capital Territory
Homestay provided by ‘Australian Homestay Network’ (AHN)
AHN will work with managers, hosts and guests to meet all stakeholder expectations and is committed to providing you and your host with a positive and safe Homestay experience.
By participating in AHN Homestay you, the guest, will be confirming that you understand and are happy to abide by the terms and conditions detailed below and those that relate to the operation and use of the Australian Homestay Network system.
The AHN community recognises that guests come from a variety of cultural backgrounds and composition and guests will be matched with families as per their personal requirements where this is possible.
AHN Homestay Insurance will cover all students registered with AHN whilst they are in an AHN Homestay placement, provided all monies are deposited and receipted through the AHN supervisor. For household insurance coverage see Website for policy: www.homestaynetwork.org/public/AHN-insurance.
AHN reserves the right to move you from a Homestay placement at any time. In this situation the balance of any Homestay monies will become due and you will be reimbursed any Homestay payment in circumstances where this is due to you or you may be required to pay further monies to your host if money is owing.
The AHN community is committed to supporting successful outcomes for all Homestay guests. This means that AHN has an obligation to maintain a reasonable standard of care in situations where a member’s action, or failure to act, could reasonably be expected to affect you as a Homestay guest.
This also relates to situations where someone else is likely to be affected by what you do or do not do and where it is reasonable to expect that the other person might suffer some harm.
Standard of care is the ‘reasonable’ standard expected so that your safety and wellbeing are not compromised.
A breach of duty of care is the failure to meet the relevant standard of care. This might happen through the failure to do something that should have been done. This does not mean that every mistake constitutes a breach of duty of care. This will depend on whether or not the mistake was reasonable in the circumstances.
Payment and Finances
– Pay your Homestay fee in advance before the end of your payment period through AHN
– Not pay any weekly Homestay fees directly to your host
– Understand that you will be required to give two weeks’ notice when you plan to leave your host’s home and pay the appropriate Homestay fee
– Understand that you will be charged for two weeks Homestay if you do not give the required notice
– Meet all personal expenses for travel, entertainment, telephone calls, internet, medical expenses and other personal, incidental costs
– Keep all valuables, money, passport and airline tickets in a safe place
Communication and AHN contact
– Maintain frequent and regular contact with AHN by logging in to your guest profile on the AHN website
– Answer all system communications, checklists and alerts as they appear in your guest profile, ensuring all communications are responded to or completed within the agreed time
Courtesy in the Homestay home
– Understand that hosts come from a variety of cultural backgrounds and composition and that this will not be the basis for acceptance or rejection
– Understand and accept your host’s house rules
– Understand that water is scarce in Australia and there may be water restrictions in place in your area, and respect these restrictions
– Communicate in a respectful way
– Ask permission of your host before inviting friends to their home
– Ask permission of your host before smoking (Must only ever be outside the home)
– Ask permission of your host before taking alcohol into their home
– Ask permission to use your host’s telephone and expect to pay the cost of your telephone calls
– Ask permission to use your host’s computer or internet access and expect to pay the cost of your usage (within reason)
– Take responsibility for your own practices and needs
– Keep your bedroom clean, neat and tidy and assist with minor household chores
– Be considerate to your host’s household and keep noise to a minimum
– Pay for any damage you cause to host property – see AHN Insurance Policie for further details)
– Be aware of and respect the cultural differences and beliefs of the host and their family
– Communicate with your host every day and give adequate notice if you will not be home for meals or are staying overnight with friends (If you are under 18, you must inform your host where you are at all times and be home by any specified curfew).
– Attend meetings with AHN if or when required
– Advise your supervisor immediately of any concerns regarding your health or welfare
– Be aware of and abide by the national and state laws of Australia (for example, wear bicycle helmets, respect legal age of drinking, wear seat belts etc.) For further reference go to http://australia.gov.au/topics/law-and-justice.
While in a Homestay placement you can expect your Homestay Host to:
– Have a duty of care towards you, their Homestay guest (your host may ask you to let them know where you are going and the time you will be home)
– Support and assist you to live comfortably within your new environment
– Respect your right to privacy
– Respect your culture, customs, language and beliefs
– Provide you with adequate, healthy meals prepared in a clean environment
– Provide you with a secure, private, clean and (warm in winter/ cool in summer) bedroom, good healthy food, laundry facilities and a supportive environment
– Ensure that you have your own room and not force you to share a room with other guests or a member of their family, unless you specifically request to do so
– Advise you of the route you will take to and from your education provider
– Provide an orientation within the family home (e.g. provide advice and safety instructions on the use of any pool area, household facilities and security.)
– Advise you of the household rules and practices (e.g. what time dinner is served, telephone protocols, rules regarding smoking, alcohol, guests visiting, curfews if you are under eighteen, household tasks and bathroom conduct)
– Allow you to use the facilities in the home and show you how to do so (e.g. laundry)
– Speak good English that you can understand
– Expect you to help with minor household chores e.g. help with the dishes and keeping your room clean and tidy
– Liaise with AHN regarding any concerns or difficulties
– Notify AHN as soon as there is any change of circumstances in the household
AHN Refund Policy
AHN is responsible for managing the expectations of the guest, host and other related parties with respect to maximising the opportunity for a successful Homestay Placement.
It is important that all parties are clear on the relevant refund and associated policies regarding these processes.
Homestay fees are generally made up of two types of payments:
1. Homestay Matching Fee
This fee is paid to AHN to confirm that a placement is required. It covers the cost of host training and assessment, and the work associated with the matching process. The fee is generally paid in conjunction with a minimum period of weekly fees (usually 4 weeks).
On receipt of the initial payment AHN will review the guests profile and preferences and commence the work required to find a well matched and appropriately screened host for the guest.
The Matching Fee is not refundable once payment has been received.
2. Homestay Weekly Fees
The weekly fees are paid to AHN to cover the payment to your host, insurance, support services and monitoring of the homestay placement. A minimum period of 4 weeks is usually required for new placements.
Weekly Fees are refundable if the minimum notice period is met.
– If you cancel your placement and provide more than 2 weeks written notice prior to arrival your weekly fees will be refunded in full. The matching fee is not refundable.
– If you cancel your placement and provide less than 2 weeks written notice prior to arrival you will forfeit payment for 2 weeks plus the matching fee. Any additional weekly fees paid will be refunded
Visa Delays or Course Changes:
– If a guest is unable to arrive by their intended start date due to a Visa delay or course changes the guest may defer their placement until Visa Approval is granted, or the course is rescheduled.
– If AHN is advised in writing of these changes a minimum of 72 business hours prior to arrival there will be no charge for this change. All fees will be transferred to the new placement.
– If AHN are not advised in writing of these changes a minimum of 72 business hours prior to arrival the guest may be required to pay another matching fee for a new placement to be made.
– AHN will provide a full refund (upon receipt of the Australian High Commission / DIAC Visa Refusal Notification) for a cancelled placement if your Visa is denied and you have provided a minimum of 72 business hours’ notice. If the required notice has not been provided AHN will retain the matching fee and refund the weekly fees only.
– All other changes will be subject to the same notice periods and penalties as detailed in the cancellation policy.
Post Arrival Cancellations:
– Once a homestay placement has commenced we do not refund weekly fees for your initial period of homestay (usually 4 weeks). The matching fee is also not refundable.
– The guest is required to provide AHN and their homestay host with a minimum of 2 weeks written notice if they intend to move out of homestay.
– This notice period cannot commence during the first two weeks in homestay.
– There will be no refund if the guest chooses to leave without serving out the required notice period.
– If a guest gives less than two weeks’ notice of their intention to move out they will still be required to pay weekly fees for two weeks following the date on which they have given notice.
Post Arrival Changes:
– If a guest is unhappy with their chosen homestay family they should contact AHN to discuss.
– AHN will laisse with the guest and host to try to rectify any concerns and assist through the ‘settling in’ period
– If the guest wishes to change homestay families after the first 4 weeks, and there are not adequate grounds for the change, the guest may be charged another matching fee for AHN to find a new homestay
– The guest will still be required to provide the minimum of 2 weeks’ notice to AHN and the original host before moving out
– Weekly fees will need to be paid a minimum of 2 weeks in advance before the transfer date in order to cover the first payment to the new homestay family
Room Holding Policy
Many guests wish to have their room held when they go on holidays. If the host is agreeable to this arrangement the following rules will apply:
– The guest must be away for a minimum of 7 days and
– The guest should notify AHN and their host of their holiday plans at least 2 weeks prior to departure. Room holding fees cannot be issued after the date of departure
– The guest will pay 50% of their normal fees during the period they are away
– The room holding fees and 2 weeks of normal weekly fees for the return must be paid before the guest leaves
– The guest is able to leave their belongings in the room and it will not be used by the host for other purposes
– The room will be held for the period agreed prior to the guest departure
– The guests belongings will be covered by AHN insurance
– The guest must notify AHN and the host if there are any changes to their return date
Airport Pickup Refund Policy
– The guest is required to contact AHN if there are any changes to their arrival information.
– If airport pickup has been booked and the guest has missed their flight or failed to provide updated arrival information a minimum of 6 business hours before the original arrival time then there will be no refund for the unused transportation. After hours this notice must be provided via phone and not email.
– The guest will also need to pay for a new booking if pick up is required at another time.
– There will be no charge for changes if notice is given a minimum of 6 business hours before the original flight landing time. After hours this notice must be provided via phone and not email.
– If a guest cancels an airport pickup 24 business hours or less prior to arrival the student will forfeit all fees paid for the service.
– If the guest finds an alternate way to the homestay and the minimum notice period has not been given there will be no refund.
– If a guest cancels airport pickup more the 24 business hours prior to arrival a full refund will be provided
*Note: Business hours are between 9am and 5pm AEST.
All approved refunds will be deposited into an Australian Bank Account. No cash refunds will be processed. If no Australian bank account is available we will refund via telegraphic transfer, an AU$30.00 service charge will be deducted from refund total. If the original payment was made by Credit Card we can refund back to the same card, a 3% service charge will be deducted from the refund total.
Refunds will be processed within 2 weeks after the guest has left homestay and appropriate bank details have been received.